| SHOP |

Bio

Chicago, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Retro paintings




It is the 10 year anniversary of the Michael Jordan painting. I painted it sophomore year in High School. It was the first drawing/painting that really let me know how far I was coming as an artist and inspired me to want to go into the art field. When I did the picture I thought about what I could do differently and so I painted his portrait Black and white but wanted to leave the rings in color. My art teacher, Mr. Myles walked me through the process and got it started for me, then I was able to finish it up by myself. So I'll say he did about 30% of the work.
I of course was proud of the painting and showed it off to everyone I knew. My mother made copies of it and sold it to her co-workers at her job at the time. Alot of my family members also have copies of it. The one mistake I think I made was not really trademarking this version of the image. Since the reference was from a nike ad, Nike really owned the rights to the image (and so does the photographer). So after I let a friend post the pic on her website, not too long afterwards I started seeing my version on jackets, backpacks, t-shirts, etc. Can't say for sure that it was all based on this version but it's pretty coincedental.

No comments: